Looking for a way to be more involved with your Academy? Want to give back but aren’t sure where to start? The Georgia Healthy Family Alliance (GHFA) is seeking interested GAFP members to serve on the Alliance Board of Trustees beginning in 2024.
Formerly the Foundation of the GAFP, the Alliance was founded in 1987 and is the philanthropic arm of the Georgia Academy of Family Physicians. The mission of the Alliance is to enhance the well-being of Georgia citizens through educational and community programs that promote healthy practices consistent with the principles of family medicine.
Now, more than ever, the Alliance needs family physicians who are excited about GHFA reaching our initial Capital Campaign goal of $4 million. The campaign’s next initiatives will allow the Alliance to continue to expand its educational and community outreach efforts including both the Community Health and Immediate Needs Grant programs as well as the Tar Wars tobacco and vaping program and local Strike Force Initiatives across the state. The campaign also provides the Alliance with a full-time team dedicated to improving the health and welfare of our local communities in Georgia. There is an expectation that all Trustees will make a financial contribution to GHFA’s Capital Campaign in an amount that is meaningful to them.
New board members will serve four-year terms (2024-2027) and will help guide and oversee GHFA projects including:
- The Community Health Grant Program – This nationally recognized program awards grants to GAFP member-affiliated projects addressing health care needs throughout Georgia. Since beginning this program in 2012, the Alliance has awarded more than $665,000 to community projects in all corners of the state. The Alliance also launched the Immediate Needs Grant program in 2020 to provide urgent needs assistance in response to the COVID-19 crisis. Since launching three years ago, $60,000 has been awarded statewide with a current emphasis on rural and underserved areas of Georgia.
- Tar Wars – A tobacco and vaping prevention program that reached more than 50,000 fourth and fifth graders in Georgia last school year alone. GHFA also currently has four Tar Wars Strike Force Initiatives underway in Northwest Georgia/Rome, Northeast Georgia/Gainesville, Southeast Georgia/Savannah and Middle Georgia/Macon to address the epidemic of youth vaping across the state.
Board members are expected to attend each of the three GHFA board meetings (in person) in 2024.
2024 GHFA meeting dates and locations:
- Saturday – March 9, 2024 – Westin Perimeter – Atlanta
- Saturday – August 10, 2024 – Brasstown Valley Resort – Young Harris
- Friday- November 8, 2024 – Hotel Avalon Marriott – Alpharetta in conjunction with the GAFP Annual CME Meeting
Thank you in advance for considering this leadership role. Interested members should fill out the form below by October 25. To learn more, visit us on the web at http://www.georgiahealthyfamilyalliance.org.